Blacknad,
You and I have very different views; for example, I do not think you would describe atrocities, love, trust and basically everything a living thing can perform or experience as a mere product of ?neurons firing because of stimuli?.
(Please correct me if I?m wrong.)

You said; ?science deals with the practical issues of living in and exploring this universe and everything within it, including ourselves. Religion asks whether there is anything existing outside the boundaries of our natural experience and whether that something could or does interact in any way with us.?

I disagree. The definition for science is the study of natural and physical phenomena. Therefore, if there were anything existing outside the boundaries of our natural experience it would still, despite it?s complexity and greatness, be a natural phenomena and would undoubtedly be explained by science. Science is basically the study of how everything works. With that in mind, there is nothing that exists outside the realm of science.

As for what you said about religion intersecting with science, that is only 1 branch of science.