"Religion asks whether there is anything existing outside the boundaries of our natural experience and whether that something could or does interact in any way with us."

- Yeah. Not thinking clearly here. Should probably be, 'Religion is [not exclusively] concerned with what lies outside of our ability to explore by scientific methods. Science, obviously can have no such interest.

DA Morgan -
I call nonsense on your statement. Religion doesn't ask questions. Religion by its very nature demands that you accept, as an article of faith, that it ALREADY HAS all of the answers.

REP: You are welcome to call nonsense on my statement, but never-the-less I still think that religion does ask questions. It seems to me that this is exactly what theologians do. There may be some confusion over the meaning of religion here ? I am talking about people collectively who have ?Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe?.
There are surprisingly few core beliefs that we subscribe to, and there are more secondary beliefs that flow from them, but there is nearly a whole universe full of questions whose answers we are not sure of. Those are the questions that religion asks about and explores. The apostle Paul said ? ?now we see through a glass darkly?.
For example, what I know about the nature of God and what he does is one miniscule step away from nothing. I believe he has revealed something of himself and there is much that can be inferred about him. Those are amongst the question that I ask ? and I am as much a part of religion as anyone else. This is what I meant by ?religion asks questions?.

DA Morgan ?
You can not point to a single religious text in Judeo-Christian-Islamic theology in which it is written ... "we were wrong and upon investigation determined the correct answer to be ...."

REP: I don?t think this is the case ? Christian theology has undergone immense change over the last two thousand years as it has built upon, revised or rejected what has gone before, all in the light of what the bible tells us, combined with our own observations, experience and reasoning. There are whole rafts of religious issues that are negotiable, but not all ? the few central tenets have, in the main, remained consistent amongst the broad church. i.e. the Nicene Creed ? consisting of only 13 sentences.

DA Morgan ?

Not once has any religion admitted to the fact that its understanding of heaven and earth was wrong.

REP: Extract from
www.newhumanist.org.uk

?That said, what ought we to think about the just departed Pope, Carol Wojtyla? As a scientist, I can't really complain that much about him. He managed to officially pardon Galileo (almost four centuries later, but hey!), though he refused to apologize for burning Giordano Bruno at the stakes. John Paul II also wrote a letter to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in 1997 advising Vatican scientists (and Catholics at large) that the Church doesn?t have a problem with the scientific theory of evolution.?

OK, a mixed bag, but I think there is an admission there that the catholic church was wrong on not only heliocentrism but on the ridiculous charge of heresy ? especially in the light of the fact that if they had paid attention to the bible they would have known from Job 38:33 (which states that the heavens "fix their rule over the earth,?) that the heavens control the earth and not the other way around ? one of the few areas where the bible has something to say about the way the universe works.

And now even the catholic church is admitting that Christian opposition to the theory of evolution is mistaken ? a theory that I have never had a problem with, as a Christian belonging to the independent free churches, who's members are free to conclude whatever they want to about such things.

And I think that the following article from The Guardian newspaper shows that the catholic church has admitted mistakes and apologised for a whole range of issues:

www.theguardian.co.uk

DA Morgan -
Not once has any religion admitted to the fact that its understanding of heaven and earth was wrong. I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. But you won't find it in the Bible, Torah, or Qur'an.

REP: Speaking for the bible ? it does not claim to be a scientific textbook and is hardly descriptive about the nature of the heavens and the earth, however much some Christians want to use it in that way. So in the terms you state, there wouldn?t be much to have to admit to and correct anyway.

Regards,

Blacknad