Chaoslillith wrote one April 06, 2006 02:14 PM
...my point that we as a country already have the world's most technologically advanced and largest military )escept for China as far as size there is no way we could match them. There is no need for us to keep spending billions on defense R and D not to mention all the wasteful spending the DOD does on a daily basis.)....

and we aim to keep it that way. stop r and d and in a decade we will no longer be a superpower, well be a colony of someone else.

...We could take a small percentage of the money that goes to the DOD, use it for alternative enery and another small percent and use it for education and the DOD would not lose anything. Renewable energies do their jobs...

yes and then another country would have that much more incentive to use their newly developed super weapons that we have no ability to defend against with our antiquted defense systems.

Archer, my uncles in Germany who are hardly rich state that their solar has more then pad itself off. ... It is not that expensive anymore.

http://www.partsonsale.com/

http://wholesalesolar.com/solar-panels.html#Anchor-Wholesale-11481

http://wholesalesolar.com/packages.html

its funny, i used these to see how long it would take me to pay off a system to replace my electricty, it came out as 54.3 years. how is that cost efficent.

...For those who do not feel like clicking the large array package was $13,000. Less expensive than just about any new car...

yes for a small home. say a one bedroom for one person with no computer etc.

There are plenty of people who can afford to do it. Most people though are not aware that it can save money and pay for itself in a few years, unlike a car which depreciates, solar cells actually enhance the value of your home...

yes there are some ppl that can afford it. but then those ppl dont think anything about buying a new car every year either. most of us cant do that.

...Most Americans still think it is a treehugger, crazy idea that only pinkie-hippie-commies will use. We will have the last laugh however as heating oil and electric prices continue to rise and those off us with solar power will stay have free electricity...

no, most of us americans realise that its not hippies anymore, its the super rich that dont have to worry about actually making the money back because the goverment will pay for it, with tax breaks etc. The majority of americans dont make enough money to have the kind of taxes that would be helpful to get this system.

...What you forget Archer, is that once installed, most people make money from the power company or at least never have to worry about outages or power bills ever again. That in itself is worth the initial outlay in hot place like Arizona where the electric bill in summer can be $200-400 a month depending on your house. 13.000 / 400. At that rate a solar array takes 32 months to pay itself off. Those government buildings I am sure got their money back within a few years.

yes, but they can also get their money back using passive things to cool the building. many of those building claim its the solar power that helps them and puts all the savings towards paying for that system, without putting anything towards paying for new type windows, better siding, heat reflective roof coating, ets. why, because these are not one time expenses. if they have to spread the savings on the entire package, they will lose money.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.