Originally Posted By: Orac
I don't agree with everything you say TT but it is close enough. Yes science is a blunt instrument by design and closed in it's formulation to some ideas, which you happen to favour.
Only as the devils advocate to this particular argument.

However it does what it is intended to do, no more no less, it doesn't pretend to be a solution to all questions.
Well, depending on who you talk to (when claiming to be the authoritative mouthpiece for science) all defenses I seem to run into regarding science is that scientists are seemingly better equipped mentally to ascertain the reality of everything, regardless of any humility in being just short of perfect. wink

Some questions we just deem invalid because we have a certain bias, a door Rev K sometimes tries to open. We even openly discuss our bias but no it isn't going to change anytime soon smile

Right, the "IF you can't get a consensus to put it on a table and disassemble it", then it's not worth discussing kind of approach. I get that

Similar in a way your philosophical musings have a place just not in science. smile

Too bad, I always have room for science. In my world everything has value AND no thing is mutually exclusive. When you add another perspective rather than isolating it within a certain mindset, then thought becomes less "cult-ish." wink

In some ways I have an advantage I have seen science under 3 different political systems, I don't think Sabine has. Much of her view on science and indeed the report she refers too is very very Western culture centric, they forget there are other cultures out there smile

Actually its the report on Sabine and the reference to the study that lacks credibility. No report can do justice to actually getting to know Sabine or what actually went on in the study and what the science was behind it. There is an incredible lack of detailed information. What was presented in the article was in fact vague and leads to assumptions.

A little fact to throw in in the sixties the number of female physicists and chemists in Russia hovered around 47%. All comrades are expected to do their bit for the glorious nation male or female smile
And did the male comrades fully accept the gender as equal, or just follow orders for fear of being castrated or shot? shocked

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!