Originally Posted By: Bill
Ah! The good old nature vs. nurture argument. I see you have decided totally in favor of nurture. It isn't that simple. In fact I have here a quote from your link.

Originally Posted By: Core Concepts of Prenatal, Infant, and Toddler Development
It has often been asked which has more effect on a child’s development: nature (Genetic influences on the growth and development of a child.) or nurture (The influences of the environment, experiences, and education on the growth and development of the child.)

This is no longer a controversy in the early childhood field. There is a complex interplay between these two in the development of an infant (Gottlieb, 1992). Both play their parts in shaping who the infant will become.
That seems to agree with the prevailing sentiment. I figured it out for myself a long time ago. Nature predisposes us to certain characteristics, nurture refines the characteristics.

To a large extent our personality is dictated by our genetic heritage, but there is a large overlay of education. The education can take many forms. Education doesn't come just in school, but from the whole world around us....... Bill Gill
Bill G, decades ago, when as part of an undergraduate program, I chose to begin a major study of psychology, including and what you call, "The good old NATURE vs. NURTURE" argument. Instead of arguing with my prof, I simply came to the conclusion: A very important factor, spirituality, is missing here.

Unlike the early years, modern psychologists, now, do include consciousness, awareness and spirituality as worthy science-based topics. Like Pneumatology, It is no longer just a philosophy.

I THINK OF LIFE AS LIKE A TRI-POD--Nature, Nurture, Pneumature--THE GOAL OF LIFE IS KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM & POWER AND MEANING

Based on the Greek word, pneuma, meaning spirit, I chose to call this missing Pod, PNEUMATURE--the Loving, power-filled and FREE self. As spiritual, self-aware and normal human beings, we already have this great gift of free-Will.

Now, in cooperation with the natural sciences, as we explore the infinity of space, and nurtured by the social ones (education) as we live in the eternity of time, we are able at any point, to use and apply the gift of free-WILL. It is then we find the meaning and purpose of life--the kind which we all seek.

Truly and lovingly cultivated, this growing awareness of SELF (pneuma) and others--within what we call time and space--is what gives all of us all the power and cultural variety we all need to be, to know, to do and to grow, with no limit to space and time in which to do it.

Last edited by Revlgking; 07/01/15 09:24 PM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org