Originally Posted By: Bill
Well, I'm sorry you aren't interested in discussing the reality of the world, but I can't force you to actually study the matter.
Well you can't force anyone to see what they can't see, nor will you fool someone who knows better to fall for ignorance when they know the difference between reality and delusion.

My point in discussing assumptions within this thread.

I am going to mention one thing that you brought up.

Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
And the example of the mothers statement:
Quote:

When my older daughter was three or four years old, we approached an African American cashier in a store and she asked her, “Are you sad that you don’t have light skin?” I winced and began to splutter an apology, but the woman answered, “No, honey. Are you said that you don’t have dark skin?” When my daughter said no, the woman responded, “So you see? We’re both happy with who we are.”

towards the response of the adult woman who said "we're both happy with who we are" would seem to support the curiosity of the child rather than any inbred prejudice or condemnation and separation,

What I see there is that the child automatically assumed that the clerk would rather have white skin. This seems to me to represent a prejudice, but there is nothing to say that the child had been taught that black skin was not as good.

Exactly, no in depth information, no mention of whether anyone asked the child why the question was asked, nor any interest to pursue the thought of her mothers beliefs and private conversations at home, but rather an instant leap to make the assumption that it's an inherent quality... blush

One of the things I think you may be overlooking is that having prejudices in favor of people who look like ourselves was a good thing through most of the time that we have been evolving. Animals all have built in instincts that help them survive. There is absolutely no reason to assume that when be became human beings we threw off all of our instincts. In fact it would be contrary to evolutionary theory for us to have done so.

Bill Gill
Instinct and prejudice are not the same thing. Prejudice is not inherent, whereas instinct is driven by extraordinary senses, in tune with the consciousness of the world around ones self. However fear, when engaged within the senses clouds instinct.
If you are suggesting prejudice is instinctual, I would have to say you are a wrong. I don't know... maybe its my instincts.. grin

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!