Originally Posted By: Bill
Originally Posted By: Tutor Turtle
The idea that we are predisposed to prejudice is crap!

Do you have any scientific evidence for your statement? Sabine did reference a report on a scientific study that indicated we do have a built in prejudice system.

Bill Gill
http://www.education.com/reference/article/core-concepts-prenatal-infant-toddler/
Here's one, that suggests environment on prenatal development is communicative. It suggests that the parents state of mind is part of the nature (surroundings including culture) that influences the state of mind the child has as it steps into the world, but is not something ingrained or predisposed or set in concrete. It also suggest the child has the ability to discover and make up its own mind when realizing its own ability to make judgment calls without assuming the judgments of others.

What the article does not state, and what is also void in the article referenced by Sabine and many others is that consciousness (which is rarely studied or referenced) has resonance. Children resonate to the thoughts and emotions of their surroundings in development as do adults after they have become set in their ways to programmed ideology.

I have 7 young turkeys which I bought from a hatchery. I also have 7 young guinea chicks which I took from the mother the day they hatched.
I put the guineas with the turkeys and they bonded immediately.
After a month I took both the turkey poults and the guinea chicks and put them in with the adult guineas. The adult guineas attacked the turkeys and their own offspring and the guinea chicks hid under the turkey poults as any chick would hid under its mother.
Obviously the guinea chicks were not predisposed to be turkeys, but they had developed from the day they hatched in relationship with the turkeys and not their own species of guinea birds.

Infants are resonant with their surroundings and the study Sabine referenced doesn't seem to reference any of these ideas.

The idea that children are predisposed to anything is science fiction. Like the movie minority report where science culls the perspective criminals at birth because they are deemed to be predisposed to violence.

There seems to be no scientific interest in the study of how society helps to create its own villains as well as its hero's.
Psychology is not a very reliable science, and so science as a club mindset, seeks to find markers that are repeatable, then it sets standards, which they (scientists) then tear down as new markers and standards are set.
People often put on blinders to isolate thought, to discount anything that cannot be chained, or boxed, then measured and disassembled into categories that are democratically set before the world as truth.

Sabines one referenced study is not a standard I would accept as the authoritative statement to validate her rationality.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!