Hello again Rev. You sound in great form!

We have talked (argued) about this many times. I think that the existence of the divine in any of her/his/its manifestations has to follow belief in such a concept and the need for some, to worship, love and follow. This is a very necessary aspect oF faith for many , and indeed I read to-day that Mr Putin is supposed to be using the renaissance of religion in Russia as a basis for expansion of his power. Possibly a cynical way of looking at things-- but he would not be the first.

I can appreciate that need, but I do not share it. You, Rev, once called me a secular humanist, and I liked that so much that I often identify myself as such! And I should thank you for the label. I much prefer it to sceptic, which always sounds closed minded, and I don't think I am.

There are many examples of the belief that leads to believing. The most well-known is probably Paul (not my favourite apostle) whose belief stemmed from a vision and instantly he believed it was god calling him. His belief took him into a very different life, and it was one filled with faith and belief. How do you explain that? You don't. Belief has to be accepted, sometimes with a struggle, but always without proof, because it is impossible to prove the truth behind belief.

The topic here is life after death. It too cannot be proved. Many people wholeheartedly believe in it, and industries have grown up to support that belief, but no one has proved immortality anywhere.

And I think that does not matter! If you believe in eternal life, then for you the idea needs no proving because you believe.

Last edited by Ellis; 11/12/14 06:46 AM.