Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Planck distance is a finite distance. I'm not asking what is smaller than Planck distance. All I am saying is that if something is infinitely small it does not exist in the material world.

Then you agree with science .. plank distance is a bounding condition for us.

Quote:

Presumably this universe is not devoid of energy, so it is not nothingness.

Correct at science we would simply a universe devoid of matter and full of energy and possibly dark energy and matter if such things exist.

Quote:
Undoubtedly this is mathematically true, but since you can never demonstrate that you have a positive or negative infinite number of anything, the argument is pointless in reality.

But I can have +5 and -5 and +10 and -10.

I urge you to read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_(number))

It evokes the same problem

Quote:

Records show that the ancient Greeks seemed unsure about the status of zero as a number. They asked themselves, "How can nothing be something?", leading to philosophical and, by the Medieval period, religious arguments about the nature and existence of zero and the vacuum

See I assure you it is exactly the same argument ... infact I did this exact dialog with my mate socratus (Israel Sadovnik Socratus).

I have seen this exact argument many times and it dates back to the medieval times.

Infinity in many ways is just a more modern version of the same dance over zero.

Hence the solution for science is that infinity can only be valid with a given context and zero falls to occum's razor it means the lack of something.

Last edited by Orac; 11/04/11 09:22 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.