IMO, your line of thinking is correct. I will give examples to clarify my view. Suppose matter has a fundamental particle having finite mass and finite volume (matter is grainy), then the universe made up of matter will never be infinite, it will always be finite.

Now taking the corollary: Suppose the space is infinite, then you can never have a finite space. That is, the space cannot be grainy or there is no quantized space. From zero space(a dimensionless point) to infinity (having no limit) the space is continuous. That is, if starting from a point you increase the space by making it an expanding sphere (space is three dimensional and so we have to expand it in all directions) the space enclosed can take any value (not restricted to a subset of values). However the finiteness of each value is just conceptual, not real.

Time is also like space; it is not grainy, but it is only one dimensional. So expanding it from a point of zero time we get a line extending in both directions infinitely. For any point on the line we get a finite value, which is conceptual, but not real.

If there is only space and time and no matter, then it represents a physical 'nothingness', but it is real, consisting of infinite real space and infinite real time. Here, it may appear that physical infinity and physical zero becomes equal. Therefore, do you think that we can conclude that physically infinity and zero are equal? I have never thought of such a possibility.

However, that may be philosophical statement, implying that the real physical world is finite. Such a philosophical statement, I think, does not rule out the possibility of more than one finite physical worlds.

Can that be a logical statement (something that can be proved mathematically) ? I have to think about it.

Last edited by finiter; 11/15/11 06:49 AM.