Originally Posted By: Bill 6

On the assumption that we have already done this dance, my response would most likely have been the same - when the atoms of the medium absorb the photons it is my understanding that the atoms then emit their own photons.

I see nothing there which indicates that the atoms totally absorb some of the photons.

If the increased temperature of the medium is due to a loss of total photons then the emitted light would incur a reduction in intensity.

In order for us to see that the emitted photons are of the same frequency as the original beam we would have to determine the frequency of both beams however the difference between them would be minimal to the point of being virtually indeterminable until we start talking about the considerable number of free atoms of matter scattered over vast tracts of space.

We have no way of determining the frequency of light emitted by distant stars before it traverses the distance to our location ergo we cannot claim conclusive evidence either way.

Again as I said at the time we should be able to do this in the lab which we don't see. I would do it tomorrow if it were true Bill 6 ... nobel prize awaits me if I could prove it true.

Alas as much as you want it to be true to make some observation on cosmology work for you it is not so.

Now your never going to believe me because when we did this dance last time you then went to some sort of science conspiracy theory.

All I can say is I personally don't care if it is true or not, I have no vested interest either way. Unfortunately if I test it comes out false.

Originally Posted By: Bill 6

(Incidentally, it is only faster than a horizontally emitted beam of light not faster than a beam that is traveling in the same direction.)

When a beam of sub-atomic particles is accelerated horizontally much of the accelerative force is required for no other reason than to overcome the particles' increasing relativistic mass whereas if the beam is projected vertically the planet's gravitational field is aiding the acceleration.

Okay I can see the logic behind that so you are extending normal Newtonial principles.

Last edited by Orac; 11/03/11 07:59 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.