The question to be asked seems to me to be 'Why do we have science?"

When did science break away from necessity? At first humans lived as part of the natural environment and, as do many tribal societies today, lived from the natural resources available on this planet. I think it is the desire to change this environment that gave birth to the growth of science. The development of civilisation led to the establishment of science. Once humans found that they were able to adapt things to their own advantage reliably by codifying the methods used, science was established and civilisation began its relentless movement.

"Real" science-- "hard" science, ie that which is not banished to the NQS section here (and you all know what I mean!!!) evolved as the result of deliberate imposition designed to improve the human condition. There is no science without humans, it codifies natural events for the benefit of humanity.

Science does all the things mentioned here such as increasing knowledge and so on but its main purpose is to extend human influence--- even to beyond the planet.