I nearly replied to ask if it really is only window dressing too.

I find it REALLY hard to believe that Mr McCain could be as popular as Mr Obama or that no other more 'presidential' candidate could be found instead of him! But, as a Republican, he is replacing Mr Bush which does tend to put it into perspective.

I like Mike's Clintons suggestion. But we both know it will never happen.

It seems to me that the complicated voting systems tend to produce stereotypical candidates, and tend to disadvantage candidates that have differences from the norm. Choosing between Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama is a worry! Choosing between either of them and John McCain is much easier. Go for the old white guy of course. Times are uneasy now, so it seems to make sense to go for the comfortable candidate and continue the status quo.

Then there is the problem of the disenfranchised, and there seem to be so many ways to get disenfranchised! Also fewer people are choosing to vote and the number who turn up on the day is a pitiful percentage of the eligible population. Voting seems not to be seen as a right and privilege which others countries are still literally dying for, but as a nuisance thing to do that it has no effect, and interrupts more important things.

As a PS--- I loved the new commandments--especially the COW one! There's always a solution.

And I probably need to say that, like Mike, I am observing from afar where it is easy to be dispassionate, and the above is, of course, only my opinion!

Last edited by Ellis; 08/03/08 12:42 AM. Reason: insert word