Paul

Originally Posted By: Paul
You guys seem to be hung up on temperature data.

Without the temperature going up, there is no heating and no positive feedback. The upper troposphere is not warming. The ground temperatures are not warming. The oceans have cooled slightly since 2005. There has been no atmospheric warming for 6 years, yet you are suggesting that there is somehow positive feedback? Even you admit that you need warming first! The types of clouds that result matter. Increasing the lower storm clouds increases the rain we get and our albedo. That will cool us much more than miniscule changes in a trace gas will ever warm us.

Samwik

The area under the graph is growing slowly for each doubling. The first 350 (or whatever concentration was current when that graph was calculated) has a large area. The next 350 barely increases the area; therefore, the relationship is logarithmic. I wonder what the chances are of a CO2 molecule radiating its heat to either a water, space, or another CO2 molecule before it runs into either an oxygen (20.9463%), argon (0.93422%), or nitrogen (78.0842%) molecule and loses some of its energy. Those make up 99.96472% of our atmosphere.

Originally Posted By: samwik
Exactly, as evidenced by the spectrum showing that very little is escaping into space anymore.

Anymore? Are you suggesting that this recently changed? I would love to see proof of that one! Considering the logarithmic relationship for CO2 and temperature, I currently don't see how that is possible.

I used Motl's formula (that he describes as a popular one for CO2) in my 26570 comment above