When you ask about the slowing of the rate, you are talking about time frame for the CO2 molecules to release the energy. The heat transfer coefficient will determine CO2's propensity to retain the energy for longer periods. I googled 'heat transfer coefficient' (without the quotes) and found the http://biocab.org/Heat_Storage.html site. I read that last year while people at Climate Audit were still making suggestions. Perhaps now is a good time to re-read it. I will take the time this weekend to read through it again.

Just a thought I had though is that air is a good insulator. This also corroborates Canuck's graphic. We use clothes that have air pockets to keep warm. We use fiberglass insulation that traps air while preventing conduction and convection. We and our houses end up cooling by radiating heat. As Canuck's graphic shows, most of the IR radiation is trapped.

How long does it take for the tables, floor, pots, and ground of a greenhouse to cool when the clouds block the sun depends on the materials of which each component is made. Metal pots will cool quickly to room temperature. Concrete walkways will take longer to cool. In light of air being a good insulator, how long will it take to cool? I am hoping that the link will analyse which components of air affect its ability to be a good insulator. Most importantly to our discussion is the degree to which each molecule contributes to the insulation effect.

Then again, this is all about trapped air. The atmosphere is much more complex, but this may be a good starting point.