Ellis: "Red- Damn right I'm concerned about the process, it's what makes procreation worthwhile."

- I wouldn't worry too much; the fair sex don't seem ready to abandon men if they can help it. Seriously, though, you underline what I'm saying - the pleasure of the moment often becomes the only point. As I said, children are too often a mere byproduct. Those who feel the need to resort to artificial procedures do at least show a desire to have a child.

Ellis: "We are too many on the planet already, and to me it seems an indulgence to thwart nature as we do."

- This is not going to make a difference to world population, provided the procedure is made available only to those who cannot bear children 'normally'. A woman having children by artificial means will not have any other children. Why should they be deprived of the opportunity?

- Ellis, perhaps everything from a bandaid, to blood-doning, to a heart transplant could be seen as "thwarting nature"; but how do you differentiate 'natural' from 'unnatural'? Can the activities of human beings be separated from their nature, or are they part of it? Can we say that a finch using a twig to seek out insects is doing what comes naturally, while a human using an endoscope to find a tumour is interfering with nature?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler