Originally Posted By: Bill
Well, now you have me completely bumfoozled. First you are saying that our bowling ball on a rubber sheet analogy for GR is incomplete because we don't include QM, now you say that QM is bad for some strange reason.

Perhaps go back and read .. can you read Bill?

I never mentioned QM at all, in fact my only mention of it all was to tell, Bill S to ignore it smile

You really need to actually start reading what people say because I am starting to think you have signs of an age problem.

You still haven't answered my question about what dark energy has to do with the bowling ball.

And there in lies your problem ... you don't get it smile

As far as I know dark energy wouldn't apply to the static case of the bowling ball. Dark energy would apply to dynamic systems, such as the universe.

Really so dark energy only applies to a dynamic universe ... wow that is an amazing claim smile

Perhaps think about the positive pressure example Bill and an inflated car tyre and the car weight sitting on it .... or perhaps even a bowling ball laugh

Shall I give you a historic hint:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_universe
Einstein's static universe is closed (i.e. has hyperspherical topology and positive spatial curvature), and contains uniform dust and a positive cosmological constant

The bowling ball analogy is just a way for people to visualize the warping of space by a mass.

That is because the rubber sheet provides elasticity, perhaps think about what provides the elasticity in space Bill. We don't really call it elasticity but it has the same deform behaviour (using Bill S words and idea) and something has to snap the deformation back which Bill S was wondering about and even if a partial deformation could remain. We give the thing doing this a name under GR, want to guess what it is? smile

Lets see if the penny drops yet. The incompleteness had nothing to do with QM ... do I need to repeat that 20 times so it sticks ... wait let me make it red.

However you left something else out, a name we shall not speak apparently smile

So your question is under GR the mere act of putting energy and/or matter into a bit of space (static or moving) does something ... what is it?

Last edited by Orac; 02/18/15 05:27 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.