Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Thanks. This gets better all the time!

The question still remains, though, if something is not in spacetime and not in the Universe; where is it?

As we have defined above there is nothing not in the universe there is only things not in spacetime.

Define something we have discussed that isn't in the universe .. infact I have firmly placed QM in the universe which under the old GR/SR universe it wasn't and caused people issues with things popping in and out of existance? Now QM objects simply pop in and out of spacetime but definitely within the universe.

There is a neat article picture where scientists have started to try and use phasespace representations to connect the hidden world to our physical world we see ... http://phys.org/news/2012-12-revealing-quantum.html

Higgs field is in the universe but not in spacetime it is that simple and easily identifieable by the very way we detect the higgs.

Your only other viable explaination is there is the possibilities of double conservation of energy violations of spacetime that have the same tragectory as what a hidden particle would have and ........ (insert your own explaination)

If the higgs and standard model have done nothing else they have clarified to a large extent that SPACETIME is not the entire universe, there is a whole side of it we can't see except by field and energy interactions. If you accept we have found a Higgs you have to accept the new definition of the universe, as a scientist I have no option but to accept it because I can't come up with another explaination outside the standard model.

I guess that is what perplexes me with your reponse things are more clear about the universe not less clear.

Last edited by Orac; 12/28/12 04:40 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.