Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Now you’ve lost me. If a field is not in the Universe, where is it?

In the space between the planck distances if you want to take a "flywire mesh" like view of space.

I used the word universe in the context of meaning spacetime that which you and I see the universe.

Perhaps if I adhere to the the standard I will use spacetime to mean the planck distance grid structure and the universe to mean everything.

If that is the case then I need to modify the above

=> No field is really in SPACETIME
=> Fields are measured in SPACETIME but exist in that part of the universe that isn't SPACETIME.

Originally Posted By: Bill S.

I think the next bit makes sense. A field is of indeterminate extent, its energy value can vary from one place to another but will have an average value for the field generally. The average for the Higgs field is 248 GeV. Am I on the right track?

Correct the field is assumed to permeate all space thats what our theory says, which is how we found it. We always intially make the assumption our patch of space is not special it is like any other piece of space. We could be wrong and we are well aware that may be the case but since we cant easily transport the LHC to another piece of space it's the logical start point.

The measurement can be in whatever you like really Bill S units, Orac units, the number science is using at the moment is the energy units of a collider or a moving charged particle because thats how we measure it. Right here right now we can't give you an exact realtionship to other forces because we are still trying to understand the realtionships ... if you like we are like James Watt with power and work.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.