Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Originally Posted By: M Stassler
The non-zero Higgs field has a size of about 250 GeV

I'm OK with the idea that the mass of a very small object can be expressed in eV, but what is meant by describing the size of a field in eV?

Is this size in the usual sense of the word, ie dimensions, or is it strength?

Isn't the Higgs field something that permeates the Universe?

In which case, how could either its size or strength be described as 250 GeV?

A field is something we can measure as a quantity at any point in spacetime. No field is really in the universe they permeate the universe if you want to look at it like in your words.

Magnetism for example we measure in Tesla, Electricity in Volts we could make a unit up for the Higgs and perhaps as they start exploring and understanding the relaytionships better it will be given a unit.

Until that point it's strength is given in the detection units of the device that detects it in this case by balancing energy in those units.

When Watts first discovered the concept of power and work he invented the horsepower unit. It had no relationship to anything other than something he had at hand to compare power with which was a draft horse.

With understanding we know what he described as a horsepower is equal to 746 watts in SI units.

We also have atmospheric pressure in inches of mercury long before we have had lbs per suare inch or the pascal.

Science is littered with these sorts of measurements and with understanding of how to quantify the Higgs it will probably be given it's own unit and definition.

Last edited by Orac; 12/27/12 04:18 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.