If you stop being overly sensitive and think and discuss more Preearth people might actually help you rather than treat you the way you get treated everywhere at the moment as a maddog piriah ... try it you might like it.

I don't particully care if plate tectonics is right or wrong it's not like I have a vested interest in it being right.

Plate tectonics creates lateral stresses in the crust which is consistant with what is possible as per discussion above. You have trouble with the idea of the current circulation they say as responsible for those stresses and thats something I havent really looked at but conceptually there is no obvious problems I can think of.

You explaination has very definite problems that are immediate and clearly obvious.

You best excuse at the moment is that we can't create the conditions in the core but that is factually incorrect even a basic examination of wiki entry will tell you that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Earth)

=> On August 30, 2011, Professor Kei Hirose, professor of high-pressure mineral physics and petrology at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, became the first person to recreate conditions found at the earth's core under laboratory conditions, subjecting a sample of iron nickel alloy to the same type of pressure by gripping it in a vise between 2 diamond tips, and then heating the sample to approximately 4000 Kelvins with a laser. The sample was observed with x-rays, and strongly supported the theory that the earth's inner core was made of giant crystals running north to south.

He did exactly the thought excercise I gave you above :=)

Essentially what happens as you bring mixtures up to these sorts of pressures is the matter is trying to be squeezed into smaller and smaller space and the strongest atomic lattice structure that can survive the pressure will be the one at the centre because it will have made the other material around it either melt or become compliant.

Even good old water has been given the pressure treatment http://phys.org/news81094124.html and can be made to do weird and wonderful alloying into weird cystaline solids.

Hopefully by now you get the idea that at these pressures you can't develop the sort of elastic stress you need to drive your process because there is going to be strong lattice seperation forced onto whatever is in the mixture.

Last edited by Orac; 05/02/12 04:45 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.