Okay since you finally started answering questions I am going to give you a thought experiment this is specifically about your stress your building up and you can actually do this in a lab.

As for plate tectonics lets igore that for now I don't care if it's right or wrong lets test your idea.

Take a bowling ball only this bowling ball is made of metal and we fill the finger hole full of other metals some harder and softer or lets call them different for now as you will see hard and soft become subjective.

No problems so far and now what I am going to do is put it in vice that squeezes it from all sides so like a lathe chuck but in 3 dimensions.

So we start the process and as the pressure builds up one of two things will happen.

1. One of the metals say in the finger strength point will be exceeded and it will deform and get forced to occupy less space this may even involve going liquid due to the forces.

Can the deformed metal put stress back on the metal and to the surface of that deformed it. The answer is no because the deformed metal is weaker and it is in pressure equilibrium to the greater force.

2. The second option is the iron material deforms or goes liquid and do you want to guess what happens then. The more solid material fairly quickly will move through the iron ball melting it as it goes until it reaches the exact centre of the ball. Why well the exact centre of the ball because the pressure around the more solid object is then even and it wont move.

In neither situation can you develop stress of forces the only stress that is developable under both situations is thermal expansion ones almost all normal sorts of stresses are impossible because somewhere in the scheme you have a compliant material.

We started talking about stronger and weaker but really at these pressures it comes down to what atomic structures can survive the pressures as the weaker ones will be subject to one of the two situations above.

Scientists realised all this quite some time ago and hence the restriction on the depth you can develop a normal non thermal stress in the earth.

What you suggest would be possible in the crust but it can't go to any real depth for fairly basic reasons.

Therefore your idea is falsified easily.

Again it does not prove plate tectonics I will leave that up to them to defend but your alternative idea is dead in the water.

Last edited by Orac; 05/02/12 01:41 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.