Originally Posted By: Orac
...... Therefore your idea is falsified easily.....

Oh really... Did I mention that you are showing profound stupidity. You haven't proved a damn thing, let alone proved that the planet-moon collision idea is false.

And, you just want to forget about the errors of your earlier post. Well OK, I guess.

I should point out why I don't consider Orac's last post worth considering seriously.

He says: "In neither situation can you develop stress of forces the only stress that is developable under both situations is thermal expansion ones almost all normal sorts of stresses are impossible because somewhere in the scheme you have a compliant material."

So according to Orac, he has "proved" that the stresses causing plate-tectonics are impossible because somewhere in the scheme you have a compliant material. Therefore, plate-tectonics is just more rubbish. Well you might convince me that plate-tectonics is rubbish, however,...

Or that the stresses that are causing Scandinavia to rise are impossible because somewhere in the scheme you have a compliant material.

You see his statement directly contradicts the known fact that Scandinavia is still rising and he wants me to believe what he says? Clearly, his model must be wrong at some point, or points.

I guess the main problem here is that pressures involved at mantle depths are so high, that any intuition derived from the laboratory is likely to be wrong. Also, laboratory experiments tend to be idealised in many ways, again making intuition gained from them, somewhat suspect.

Earth formed from a collision
www.preearth.net

Plate-tectonics is wrong
www.preearth.net/plate.html