ImranCan:

Quote:
This thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Lets get some geoloical fact straight.
1) Continental crust has a thickness of ~30km (up to 70km in orogenic zones). Oceanic crust has a thickness of 10km. Yes thats 10km !!!

2) There is no 'liquid' magma under the earths crust : There is the "mantle" which is a solid - (although it has a rheology more like a liquid due to the high P and T). It is comprised mainly of a material called peridotite (mainly of the mafic minerals of olivine and pyroxene)

3) In places, due to "upwelling" of the mantle, there is a process called "fractional melting", related to phase changes (as the P decreases but T doesn't) which produces a liquid commonly called magma. Under oceanic crusts, such upwelling occurs in plumes (like Hawaii or Iceland) or under Mid Ocean Ridges (MOR). The magma generated eventually escapes through the crust to the surface where it cools and forms a rock called basalt.

4)As an aside, the amount of magma produced at MOR's is the major driver (over geological timescales) for sea levels. This is why, during the Cretaceous period, when the Atlantic was opening so fast with massive volumes of mid ocean ridge basalts being produced, sea levels were 500m higher than today.

do you type in http://www.google.com

or do you have a program that finds this information for you?

there was a program called search wolf I believe that was very good for finding articles about things that "might be of interest to others".

Quote:
Some of the commentary above is so random and knowledgeless that it reminds me of the saying that if you leave a monkey with a keyboard for long enough, eventually you will get the entire works of Shakespeare. Eventually.

OK go ahead and post the rest of the books.

shakespear wasnt it?

I guess what Im trying to say is that well... if I were talking about the atmosphere in general , I wouldnt categorize each individual layer !!

Last edited by paul; 05/30/08 04:03 AM.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.