Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
dehammer wrote:
"ok, i tried that and you know what i found. not scicntist saying he was a crackpot, but scaremongering journalist"

You read all 414,079 posts? Which speed reading class did you take?

If you can't understand that scientists referring to someone as fringe means crackpot then I can't help you but perhaps this can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crackpot
did not have to read them all, all i had to do is look at the links. the great majority of them said "forum". when i did the search with a block on forums, there were very few (i believe 60)

no, fringe does not mean crackpot. crackpot in science is usually someone that does not have a clue what is going on and claims to be an authority on it. hmmm, wonder if i could get away with making a comparison. likely not. guess i will be good and not.

there are several fringes, most of them are likely to be unsuccessful in proving their point, but some of them are still valid. how about the wright brothers. they were on the fringe until Kitty Hawk. when was the last time you heard them called crackpots.

oh, the quote from that link is

Quote:
Pejoratively, the term Crackpot is used against a person, subjectively also called a crank, who writes or speaks in an authoritative fashion about a particular subject, often in science, but is alleged to have false or even ludicrous beliefs.
until it is proven false, he is not a crackpot. considering the other evidence against those who are pushing the theory of 'only man made global warming', i think it would not be wise for them to do any name calling.

edit: i tried that link and if you take out the "page=print.print" it will take you to the index and not bring up the print program.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.