You are sort of correct pokey and caught up with the problem we have everyone trying to answer

The one most people will struggle with and may argue with you is this one
Originally Posted By: pokey
Time (perhaps a tool we use to make sense of what we term change) exists. Unless you’re a photon moving at c, as I understand they experience no passing of time.

Paul went down the path of making time not existing. He found the easy solution to change everything else into measurements and not existing, which he promptly did. In QM that idea is a form of holographic principle, that things only exist based on measurement and hence my little joke with Paul who is now a convert. There is a very famous exchange with Einstein over the existence of the moon.

So you are going down the time exists path. So your question I would like you to front is a little different. If time exists how can it be stopped for the photon (that is appear not to exist) and then the extension of that is can it go backwards? If it can't go backwards what stops it?

Extension thinking excercise:
The interesting part to ponder is time existing or not existing the only two choices. This one usually catches most people out who will swear that it is that black and white. So lets give you a couple of examples in shadows and rainbows. These things generally fall under a category of things called illusions of physical effects. As humans all our senses have illusions that can fool them and we often marvel at them. Can we definitively exclude time from being an illusion of a physical effect?

Last edited by Orac; 02/16/16 06:55 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.