Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Christopher Baird deals with this, here:

http://sciencequestionswithsurprisingans...en-the-photons/

I would appreciate comments on this.

I think his description is about as good as I have seen for a semi classical view.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Baird
Rather, they are spread out in time and space as they are received.

Not sure any layman is going to understand that, its a fairly complex idea.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Baird
Rather, it receives the light as a series of discrete bundles of energy separated by gaps in time. Similarly, shine light at a sufficiently sensitive array of photon counters, and it receives the light at point locations with spatial gaps between them.

The first part will make sense to a layman but the second part won't .. how does something spreading out appear at a point.

I think you have to describe it as a collapse anything else just seems confusing to a layman.

I agree totally with what he is describing but I am just not sure layman will understand it. Somehow I think you have to deal with this thing spreading out in a sphere can and does collapse to a point.

The other main point Christoper doesn't deal with, is the one Paul is struggling with that even if you take the waveform into different media simultaneously ... the detection of the photon in any of the media collapses all the energy to that point in the one media. It appears like the waveform was never in the other media .... AKA Paul's conspiracy. See paul had no problem with the gap behaviour what he can't get over is this behaviour because he finds it strange and we must be making a mistake or on a conspiracy. You see Bill G understands it as a collapse and correctly identified the experimental result that if you detect it in one media it disappears from everywhere else.

To me it's easier for a layman to equate it with lightning where you have and can measure a sheet voltage but the moment a lightning bolt breaks all the power collapses to a point transmission and the sheet voltage disappears. Maybe I am wrong but I just feel you have to deal with the collapse. Lubos for example would take me to task for making the collapse physical.

The only other way to explain it a layman might understand is using electronic currency where you can use your credit card at any given place in world that supports the credit card , provided you have funds. The problem here is it doesn't deal with the concept of the spherical spread in being able to withdraw the funds.

Last edited by Orac; 03/14/16 05:17 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.