Now you have run across the conundrum smile

You are correct in your post but it was my best effort to make some sense classically of it. It was a shame you didn't do the bit about the number of photons which would have shown you another problem.

The problem was actually first considered with stars being so far away. If you put a star a long way away like 13.2 billion light years then if photons are like bullets at that distance you would only occasionally see the star on the rare time a photon comes in your specific direction. Even with the shear number of photons being emitted from a sun at that distance it would be true.

The question is usually innocently asked like this "As light from a star spreads out, do gaps form between the photons?"

The alternative is to turn light it into a wave but then you have problems with particle like behaviour mirrors, optical lense and lasers etc.

You have four choices
i) Light is a Particle-only
ii) Light is a Wave-only
iii) Light is a Both-particle-and-wave
iv) Light is Neither-wave-nor-particle

You may care to first search for "evidence light is a particle" and "evidence light is a wave" which will probably list relevant facts and experiments.

I actually can't help you with this problem and not because I don't want to but I don't know a solution in your physics. So you will need to work through the examples and experiments from your searches and see if your choice of solution works.

Three situations you may like to consider

i) How a mirror works especially with a wave only version rather than a photon (ray) version. Scientists do lots of lies and hand waving on this so look carefully at any answer (esp drawings) and it may pay to look at wave behaviour in a ripple tank.

ii) Two people standing either side of a photon emission can both people see it? Think about energy as the photon is absorbed and there is often lots of hand waving about this.

iii) A radio wave can be blocked by flywire screen mesh but an x-ray will require a fair amount of solid lead .... why the difference?

Finally I will make a statement which may seem to be selective but you need to look beyond that, I am not favouring any answer.

There is nothing special about light, radio waves exhibit the exact same behaviours they are just no readily encountered by layman. There are situations it is easier to consider the radio wave a particle but the particle is meters in diameter which is very weird for us.

Ultimately you will come up with and answer from those 4, so let me know.

In my physics take any of those answers you like, strangely it doesn't matter laugh

There is a hint in that to concentrate on your argument rather than what poor old Orac thinks, I have no position on this nor do I care about the answer.

Last edited by Orac; 03/09/16 06:24 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.