Originally Posted By: Bill S.
A lot depends on what you mean by the “truth” of the stories. There is, as far as I am aware, no evidence of a worldwide flood in the geological record. There is, however, plenty of evidence of large localised floods. There are floods ranging from the filling of the Med, through the release of glacial lakes, the rupturing of natural dams, tsunamis and lahars. Any of these that struck primitive communities might have been seen as worldwide if they flooded what for those people was the known world. Just because there are lots of stories of floods, that does not mean they were all about the same flood.

Can I also add that some of what are also regarded by certain people as flood references are also not regarded as such by descendants of people of those references ... so we have the question do some people see flood stories because they want and need to have flood stories.

Many scholars now believe what my people believe.

Originally Posted By: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_flood_myth
Many scholars believe that the flood myth was added to Tablet XI in the "standard version" of the Gilgamesh Epic by an editor who utilized the flood story from the Epic of Atrahasis.

If you want it blunt someone butchered Persian history and tablets to add an 18th century myth to feed there need to have a great flood story.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.