Originally Posted By: Bill
Well Neohippy, that just shows how wrong you can be. I much prefer warm, even hot, weather. Now I admit you need at least a little technology, but I can endure hot weather much better. When the weather is hot I can wear shorts and a T-shirt and sit around doing nothing. Assuming the humidity is reasonable I can then turn on a fan and drink plenty of water. That may not be just the very best condition, but it sure beats freezing to death. In cold weather the only way to stay warm is to put on enough clothes that you can barely move. Any way we originally evolved in Africa where we grew up used to hot weather, not cold.

Bill Gill

Wrong? Jeeze, you sound like every Canadian that has driven a car since the age of 14 (my wife says the same stuff as you).

I was a walker up until I was 25. Usually 6-10km to and from work and school. Winter was always better, as you can make good time without over heating. Most of the time, you didn't even need a jacket unless it was less than -20C, or you weren't walking fast enough.

Surviving in the cold climates takes a bit of critical thinking (see? sorta on topic!). I, for one, use a Canadian military surplus winter jacket. Dirt cheap, highly mobile, weather and water resistant, and keeps you toasty warm, even in -40C.

Hell, I've even gone camping in -20C with nothing but a 8C tent, and that jacket.

I kid you not, but my 1986 Grand Marquis (daily driver land yacht) starts better in -20C than it does in +20C.

If it's made in Canada, it just seems to work better in the cold, and I was made in Canada.

All in all, both summer and winter are kinda extreme around here (sometimes the temp will range 90C over the year, or even 40C in a day!) but our short lived spring and autumns, now those are breath taking. I love having the rockies a short drive away, nothin' purdier than ice capped mountains in the autumn.

On that note, I work with an Iranian guy who moved here some 15 years ago, he wears short sleeves even on the coldest days, no jacket at all.
Some just handle the temps better than others.

Laziness breeds innovation