Quote:
No, Look up air speed in a dictionary.
Websters:
"Air Speed: The speed of an aircraft with respect to the air"

If you are going to use terms that have defined meanings you have to use them correctly. Since air speed is the speed of the air craft with respect to the air, then air speed is different from ground speed.

Im going to clarify this for you bill.

Quote:
your talking about IAS indicated air speed.

the actual aircraft speed is what I was talking about.

and the actual speed of the aircraft would increase in a tailwind.

hows that?

Quote:
In regard to the angular velocity discussion I specifically said that the object moving along the 100 foot arc would move much farther and much faster

so you agree that the top of the plane would move faster than the ground.

something moving much farther and much faster must be moving
faster , right?

but you want us to think that the velocities would be the same if you moved something along both arcs in 1 second.
in other words the velocities are the same in both arcs.

Quote:
Assume an arc 1 foot from the origin that subtends 30 degrees. Now draw an arc 100 feet from the origin that subtends 30 degrees. I agree that the 100 foot arc will be much larger than the 1 foot arc. But they both are 30 degree arcs. If you move something along the 1 foot arc in 1 second its angular velocity will be 30 degrees per second. Now move something along the 100 foot arc in 1 second. Its angular velocity will be 30 degrees per second. Obviously the object on the 100 foot arc will be moving much faster than the one on the 1 foot arc, in order to move 30 degrees in 1 second. There is a large speed difference between 2 arcs. There will be no difference in the angular velocity.

let me do one of those bill

suppose I point my finger straight up.
then I swing my finger 45 degrees.
I do that in 1 second.
now suppose that there is a planet 1 trillion miles from
the center of the 45 degree point that my finger swings on.

and the planet swings with my finger the 45 degrees
in 1 second.

both have followed a 45 degree arc in 1 second.

so there is no difference in the two angular velocities.

no , the facts are that the tip of my finger
has a angular velocity of 2 inches / sec
the planet has a angular velocity of
785,398,163,397. miles/sec

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity

Quote:
the angular velocity is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement and is a vector quantity (more precisely, a pseudovector) which specifies the angular speed (rotational speed) of an object and the axis about which the object is rotating.

angular velocity = angular displacement / time

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.