Bills-
I am glad to spread the word about Mungo Man and also an even older (perhaps) find of different looking bones at Kowes Creek. The recent DNA testing project around the world suggested a Sri-Lankan origin for present day aboriginals. That would not preclude a voyage through Indonesia to get here of course.

The whole academic area of these discoveries is much mired in controversy and downright mud-slinging unfortunately!

Last Easter my eldest daughter and friends, including an anthropologist, visited Lake Mungo, which is not at all lake-ish, but instead is a desert with strange sheltering cliffs called (I think) lunets and soil and rocks that contain sea shells and fossils. The fact that there was evidence of human occupation, which was also successful, seems to indicate there has been a huge change in environment, as Lake Mungo is many hundreds of kilometres inland.

I can't suggest any scientific sources for you, (I am not a scientist in any shape or form) but there is stuff on the net, and if the scientists involved could get their act together this story may become more widely appreciated!