Originally Posted By: Bill
I am going to join the group that has some serious doubts about their findings. But I suppose it could be possible. After all modern humans entered Europe around 40,000 years ago, and Australia possibly even earlier. So there is nothing to have positively prevented them from coming into the Americas at about the same time.

Bill Gill

I enjoyed that show also, and feel the same way. It is an exciting idea, and it could be possible that any of a number of groups of some "versions" of either erectus, heidelbergenis, neanderthalensis, or early sapiens made their way to isolated places that were virtual oases in the somewhat intermittent ice-age conditions, such as in high mountain valleys.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/ice-age-death-trap.html
Quote:
In the Rocky Mountains, archeologists uncover a unique fossil site packed with astonishingly well-preserved bones of mammoths, mastodons, and other giant extinct beasts. The discovery opens a highly focused window on the vanished world of the Ice Age in North America.
...They dug up green leaves that oxidized, turning black, soon after being uncovered.
===

Since the first part of the show focused on how earthquake-generated liquifaction caused living mammoths to sink into the sediments, I wondered why that didn't also seem to be a likely explanation as to how a clump of articulated bones and boulders could find its way down to a 40 ky old layer of lacustrine sediment (laying directly below a 10 ky old layer of similar sediment where a cache may have been weighted down and stored).

Hopefully they'll be able to date the bones and/or lithic surfaces (lichens, pollens, patina, etc.) fairly soon.

~ smile

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.