Quote:
Were you asking, here, who/what did the observing before we were around to do it? If so, abacus9900's response to the question "how would 'reality be the same when undisturbed?" addresses the same point, but still does not answer the original question.

It may be the case that reality does not have the same meaning for all observers. For example, could we really say that reality for, say, an earthworm is to be considered the same as it is for us? I don't think so and it seems to be closely related to the complexity of the observer. I'm not saying there is no reality in the absence of observers (more specifically us) but what kind of reality? It seems nonsense to me to assert that reality is always fixed and unchanging regardless of who or what is observing it, or, if you like, 'measuring' it.

Quote:

As long as one interprets the “no-ears” as meaning no creature capable of hearing, then the answer must be “no”. Sound waves are vibrations; they become sound only when interpreted by the appropriate auditory organs. No ears, no sound

Yes, sound waves are a form of energy, however, can we really say that sound waves alone, without interacting with the delicate structures of a human ear and the central nervous system, constitute sound?

The same energy, when interacting with a piece of rock, cannot be compared to the same 'experience' as a person has.