Originally Posted By: Warren

I said something to that effect in the article--

"...Actually we do know there was not nor is an exclusive, eternal nothingness, a complete and absolute nothingness void of energy or change, time or space, because such a nothingness would have precluded our existence..."

Don't know about videos-- can't watch them because I'm still on dialup.

Its too bad that you cannot watch the video - its fantastic. It also pretty much states that your "impossible" source of our universe is essentially where our universe must have come from.

The video itself is by Lawrence M. Krauss, a well known physicist and author who studies the origins of our universe. In it he goes over some recent results involving the curvature of the universe. While that doesn't seem to have much to do with where our universe came from, it actually tells us a lot about where our universe came from.

The curvature of our universe is determined by the amount of "positive energy" (mass, photons, etc) compared to "negative energy" (cosmological acceleration, etc). Basically, if our universe is curved (curvature can be positive or negative), it means our universe originated from a place with non-zero energy. If the curvature is zero - which is what recent results have demonstrated - it means that our universe originated, literally, from nothing. A true zero-energy state.

I'm not familiar enough with the physics to say what that means in terms of aspects like time, but given that time is a dimension of our universe, no different than the other dimensions, it seems plausible to me that it to may be a characteristic of this universe, and not of some greater "universe" that gave rise to ours.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA