Rev--- Here we go again. What does this particular atheist understand by "god"?

Well as I have told you, and others, before, atheists have no beliefs in the divine, therefore I do not 'believe' there is no god-- I 'know' there is not. This always seems to upset believers, who state themselves that they know,without doubt, that god exists. So I usually state simply that I do not believe in god. This in no way sums up the true state of my atheism however. I do not believe in the divine, the existence of life after death and Oh! all that---etc:

Now to deal with the inevitable questions about the beauty of Nature, the glory that is Space, the power of music to move me close to tears etc: The answer is that atheists have not had an emotion or appreciation bi-pass. I am still human! I enjoy life and all it offers, and regard the misfortunes that do happen as a part of life-- not god's plan for me, or a sign of the all-encompassing ethos or something to do with fate or reincarnation. Just the consequence of being alive!

I will say that posting here has definitely helped me clarify the position that I have had all my life, which has remained the same since childhood. I've certainly had to defend it!