Huh? DA Morgan? Your answer is too scattered for me to make the connections:

We are pack animals *genetically engineered* (!? oh no they got to you too!) to follow an UNSEEN alpha???

Surely the connection has to go much deeper than that, given that there is no visible alpha male here!. Possibly maybe something to do with the brain's need to come to swift conclusions in order to properly perform its function of subconsciously and consciously regulating the body?

If we don't scare the kids with stories of death disease and eternal damnation then what would we scare them with? What, assuming my above hypothesis, would we use to make them come to swift and decisive conclusions? Construct actual incidences of death, disease, and damnation to show them, real-time, instead?

I don't quite get the jump from pack behavior to brain-washing, much less your mixing of the ideas of whether this brain-washing is for best interest purposes or purely to promote more detrimental pack behavior. If pack behavior is an ingrained evolved system, then why the need for brainwashing? I don't get whether you mean brainwashing is a contrived unnatural and unnecessary product or an integral and essential part of our evolved means of survival.