Originally Posted By: Canuck

Or, we could drastically cut CO2 emissions, convert all transportation to hydrogen based, mothball every coal fired plant in the world, put a halt on any new ones, and only allow nuclear/hydro/solar/wind plants. (How many solar panels do you think you'd need to run a steel foundry? How many nuclear plants do you think Bangladesh can afford?). All in hopes of stopping CO2 caused global warming, which is a hypothesis based on a 25 year warming trend seen in data collected from a spatially(and temporally) heterogeneous monitoring network placed in changing land covers, with changing operation techniques.

I think this discussion has moved to a much more positive level. For me, even if I believed that CO2 was causing global warming (which I don't), there is no point telling evryone to fly less or drive samller cars unless you address the fundamental needs of most people on the planet. Where is there energy going to coe from ? The growth in energy consumption in most parts of the world is huge - just go and visit China .... I lived there in 2003-4. These are much more important questions than whether the troposphere is warming or not, beacsue if you can't find solutions to that then whether you sell your SUV or not won't make any difference.