Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 707 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2381 07/26/05 02:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"UW expert reels in the mysteries of fish sex, nets award"

"University of Washington professor Ted Pietsch is the world's expert on these fish, notable for engaging in "sexual parasitism" -- a phenomenon in which tiny male fish latch onto relatively gigantic females, melding into them."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/233874_fishsex25.html

Kind of reminds me of some human relationships I've observed from time to time. wink

#2382 07/27/05 06:01 AM
K
K
Hey! I was gonna use that gag:-)

#2383 07/27/05 06:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that gives a real boost to the female ego ...
:-))

#2384 07/27/05 08:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I always thought females were more secure in their own selves and did not need external "boosts" as you put it.

But, back to the Science: How do these fishes find each other in the depths of the ocean? (No fair saying ESP!) More importantly, how does the male know how and where to put the bite on his lady-love? Do they glow with a certain pattern like female fire-flies, or is it by scent or taste in the water? How does a fish the size of a ladybug know when he's met his match? I doubt Cupid is involved. Do these females ever carry more than one male and if not how do they prevent a second or third attachment from taking place? All kinds of interesting Science questions occur to me. And they have nothing to do with anyone's ego. Let's stick to Science and see where it takes us. Where's the Dire Puppy when you need him?? laugh

#2385 07/27/05 09:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know better.
There is an interesting article on the Mathematics of Love at www.edge.org

#2386 07/28/05 07:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went; I looked; I didn't see what you saw. It didn't jump out at me; perhaps it was too subtle for my brutish sensitivities. Could you be more specific?

#2387 07/28/05 08:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess You went You saw You read and then you didnt find the answer to your question..
If it is not so then the link below
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/gottman05/gottman05_index.html

Anyways your question demands specificity so I try:
How do these fishes find each other in the depths of the ocean? (No fair saying ESP!)
REP: Simply because they know the neighbourhood.
Our awareness it totally different from their awareness.
===========================
More importantly, how does the male know how and where to put the bite on his lady-love?
REP: It is the most beautiful Art and comes with the instinctive package...It can be learned also...We know it because our evolution has programmed that process within us.
==================================
Do they glow with a certain pattern like female fire-flies, or is it by scent or taste in the water?
REP: I dont know.
===================
How does a fish the size of a ladybug know when he's met his match?
REP: It is based on behaviour and need.
Sometimes need dictates , sometimes Behaviour dictates.
=======================
I doubt Cupid is involved. Do these females ever carry more than one male and if not how do they prevent a second or third attachment from taking place?
REP: Thats why there are other females to attract the remaining ones.
===========================
All kinds of interesting Science questions occur to me. And they have nothing to do with anyone's ego. Let's stick to Science and see where it takes us.
REP: I am sticking.
Where's the Dire Puppy when you need him??
REP: You call him and he is with you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.