Quote:
Originally posted by Count Iblis II:
manfermef, in his second posting, Johnny Boy is again playing his usual role in this forum, i.e. to write about his personal theories.

Joohnny Boy somehow deduced that the photon must be massless, but he didn't use any of the photon's properties in his reasoning. So, his argument must be wrong, because you could replace ''photon'' by any other particle in his argument and then you would have to conclude that all particles are massless.
I am afraid that Count Iblis II is displaying his ignorance of Galileo's statement of relativity that finally led to Newton's first law. I still think that one should first truly understand Newton's mechanics before spouting nonsense about the physics that came after it. Any "particle" can have two types of energy: kinetic and potential. Without kinetic energy it can only have potential energy. Mass is energy and within the inertial reference frame that a particle with mass is stationary its "rest mass" must represent its lowest energy state. But it is not kinetic energy because the particle is stationary within its proper inertial reference frame. Even Einstein's special theory of relativity tells you that the rest mass is NOT kinetic energy. So it must be potential energy which manifests when the particle is at rest within its inertial reference frame. A photon can never be at rest within any inertial reference frame. So it cannot have potential energy which can be ascribed to mass. What is illogical about this argument Count Iblis II. Or do you not believe that the rest mass is energy? Where do my "personal theories" come in? The argument is based on physics that has been accepted as correct (at low speeds) for more than 300 years, as well as Einstein's special theory of relativity which is now more than 100 years old!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Count Iblis II:
The Z-boson is a particle that is very similar to the photon. But it is very massive. Special relativity just states that theories must be symmetrical under so-called Lorentz transformation. A massive photon would not violate special relativity at all.
Yes, but in contrast to a photon the Z-boson has a rest mass and can thus be stationary relative to its proper reference frame; or what does the term "rest mass" tels you Count Iblis II? It seems to me that YOU are rather having you own theories; which are at variance with Newton's laws and Einstein's relativity theory!