Originally Posted By: Bill S.
While this is all, undoubtedly, true; games of snooker are played, and they are subject to the laws of physics. If you apply your reasoning to the events of the macro-world, how would a player know what any ball was going to do?

Good pool players work out how balls will react by observing results and testing theories.

For example pool balls can be struck in such a way that you can put back spin on a ball and it would behave in the exact manner you describe ... Give your result to a pro pool player and the answer would involve no weird time reversing physics.

So you tell us there is a time reversal on the table and the result .. which does not differ from the ball had back spin on it. No pool player would ever arrive at your answer or agree with it because they don't need time reversal to arrive at the result.

Normally in a thought experiment you are supposed to either let me work through the problem, or show all the possible results. Instead you gave us some ridiculous result which actually can't possibly happen. It's a slightly strange way to setup a thought experiment.

Perhaps you might like to rephrased the question, and we provide the results we might expect rather than try and tell us an impossible answer.

The problem you need to address Paul identified for you
Quote:
because if time were forwarded again at the blue spot
then history would repeat in the same order.

You can't be going both forward and backward in time at the blue spot unless time belongs only to an object and not globally. In which case we defer back to my answer you have no idea which way time is going for any given object as they are independent and it creates no problem ... one objects forward is another objects reverse.

Last edited by Orac; 06/20/16 02:14 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.