Originally Posted By: redewenur
Bill: 'Obviously none of the particles described by QM can get out.'
- Except by Hawking Radiation.

And that of course raises more questions. My understanding of Hawking Radiation is that when space manifests a pair of virtual particles they normally recombine and disappear within the time allowed by indeterminacy. However, if they manifest close to an event horizon one of them may pass into the horizon and the other be left free. The free particle is Hawking Radiation. Now comes the question. The particle that enters the horizon will probably meet another particle already in there and those 2 will annihilate, so that we still have the energy balance of the universe maintained. But, do we consider the particle that remains outside the horizon a new particle, or is it a reincarnation of the one that was annihilated inside the horizon? I don't think I have ever seen that discussed.

Of course I also recognize that my description of Hawking Radiation is a simplified version suitable for people who don't have the knowledge to adequately understand what is really happening. I suspect that it is probably much more complicate than that.

Bill Gll

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.