You need to remember its 3D so they have mark x,y and z axis for (b) the electrons have 3 possible axis if they were all full they would form 3 clouds along each axis. There will be plenty of movies etc on youtube about it I am sure.

Electrons don't orbit in the planetary way you want to make them which is where you are running into problems. These are historic errors that come from you being taught errors. They spin in wave like patterns within those strange orbital shapes.

The problem dates back to 1922 and this experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern%E2%80%93Gerlach_experiment

The bohr model was dead the moment that experiment was done and no amount of explaining could save it the result is inconsistant with what would happen with a bohr type atom.

Since then we have experiment after experiment to isolate the quantum parameters and as I have said Bohr model is dead and buried.

There is also an obvious inconsistancy in Bohr model with antiparticles. How do you make an antipartilce molecule what the big protons orbit the small electrons in the middle :-)

So you have a choice now read about the various experiments that provide science proof of what is happening and try and understand it or do the Paul hand wave and stay with some outdated and clearly wrong idea.

So which is it to be try and understand or stick your head in the sand?

Last edited by Orac; 09/07/12 08:48 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.