I linked you the answer a number of times which you refuse to read I am not getting involved in another stupid and inane Paul make up physics session.

So this is the science answer accept it or not I don't care it's not up for discussion and the answer revolves around QM.

This is the answer to your problem of why certains atoms only "hear" precise frequencies as your genius in your youtube video called it.

If an incoming energy of a photon matches the energy level difference between two levels of that particular atom it will absorb it and the atom becomes excited.

Any frequency that doesn't match this difference is rejected because there is no way to deal with left over bits of energy.

So the conservation of energy in the absorbtion is what makes certain atoms only absorb certain frequencies. Thats what gives rise to spectral lines and how you can detect substances by spectroscopy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_line

This is also the reason you can't just keep absorbing photons because the atom would get more and more excited like in your original crazy answer we would end up with an atom with a -10 000 charge because it absorbed 10 000 photons without ever re-emitting them. Ever heard of an atom with 10000 electrons?

When the electron drops back down it causes a re-emission of the exact same frequency it absorbed which is the effect you didn't want to think about because the genius on youtube video didn't discuss it. It's covered under spectral lines.

So the absorbing and re-emmission maintains perfect conservation of energy and that was the whole problem I was trying to get you thru.

Visually try this => http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~imamura/122/images/absorption-emission.mp4

This stuff is all beyond doubt by you and is easy enough to read up on and I don't intend to discuss modified Paul physics on it so accept it or not I really don't care.

Last edited by Orac; 08/30/12 07:02 PM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.