No Bill G what I am explaining is in GR time and space form spacetime they can't evolve they are a static spacetime loaf.

Lets put it in reference from translation from the horses mouth so to speak

Quote:

In the formalism of general relativity, we can distinguish different notions of time. In particular, we must distinguish the coordinate time t that appears as the argument of the field variable, for instance in guv(x, t), from the proper time s measured along a given world line.

The coordinate time t plays the same role as evolution parameter of the equations of motion as ordinary nonrelativistic time.

The equations of motion can be seen as second order evolution equations in t. However, the physical interpretation of t is very different from the interpretation of the variable with the same name in the non-relativistic theory.

While non-relativistic time is the observable quantity
measured (or approximated) by physical clocks, in general relativity clocks measure s along their worldline, not t.

The relativistic coordinate t is a freely chosen label with no direct physical interpretation. This is a consequence of the invariance under general changes of coordinates.

The solution of the equations is not in its dependence on t, but rather in what remains once the dependence on t (and x) has been factored away.

So under GR there are actually two sorts of time

1.) The one you see

non-relativistic time is the observable quantity measured (or approximated) by physical clocks, in general relativity clocks measure s along their worldline

2.) GR's version t

EXPLICITLY

In general relativity, there isn’t a preferred and observable quantity that plays the role of independent parameter of the evolution, as there is in non-relativistic mechanics. General relativity describes the relative evolution of observable quantities, not the evolution of quantities as functions of a preferred one

With general relativity we have understood that the Newtonian “big clock” ticking away the “true universal time” is not there.

As I said GR can't deal with evolution of time for there is not master clock in GR it actually explicity says so.

It's the same as it has no zero space reference frame.

Last edited by Orac; 09/02/11 09:50 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.