Originally Posted By: Orac
The interesting thing about GR Bill is remember we have a spacetime loaf. So GR involves time but it's a static backdrop there is no evolution involved infact time is a quite static thing in GR. Thats one of the problems of visualizing it in the GR backdrop.

I have absolutely no chance of figuring out the math involved in GR, but I am aware that time is intimately involved in all GR calculations. Since time varies in all gravitational and accelerated frames I can't see that time is static (no evolution) in any GR calculations. In fact as things move in a GR field they are constantly changing their relationships to one another and therefore any change is accompanied by a time change.

And just as a quick real world example of how QM and GR are kind of separated, but both real, consider the Global Positioning System (GPS). The GPS satellites run almost completely on QM principles, from the solid state electronics in them to the atomic clocks they use to provide exact locations to receivers on the ground. But if you used only the QM principles the GPS wouldn't work. You have to include a GR gravitational correction to the clocks, because they are at a different gravitational potential from the ground stations and receivers.

Granted GR and QM don't work together in many areas, but neither one applies in all cases. QM works great in areas where gravity is predominant and GR works great in areas where other forces are predominant.

As far as I know the only place in which QM addresses gravity is that it does acknowledge a graviton as the carrier of the gravitational force. But there is, as far as I know, no good theoretical way to incorporate the graviton into the overall QM world.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.