Protectionism was a device that Protected the Nations economies from the greed of the rich.

Knowing that greed could easily remove a Nations Prosperity through greedy trade practices by the rich.

so yes , I believe that way back then the Republicans were patriotic and I would call them Americans.

today I would call the republicans several choice names which should be tattooed on their foreheads and the only reason I would say they are Americans is because they live here.

But these days I certainly would not even jokingly call them patriotic.

http://drpinna.com/economic-rip-tide-chapter-two-2-4113

Quote:
NEW LAWS

As manufacturing was shipped overseas and the products returned to the U.S. and Europe, a problem arose: Tariffs.

The entire world up until the 1960's had established laws to protect their domestic industry. This set of laws was known as Protectionism.

The laws basically stated that if a product was not manufactured within a country, that country had the right to apply a tax to the product manufactured abroad. This tax was called a Tariff and all countries used them. The Money Managers knew they had to change the concept of Protectionism. They approached the problem in two ways:

Quote:
1. Convince the public that Protectionism was bad, and reduced jobs. “We are in A Global Economy, they told the public. A Global Economy makes more work for everybody!”

well it certainly made more work for everybody in the country that they support , but made less work in their own country.

Quote:
2. They went to the politicians, money in hand, and had all the tariffs eliminated.

maybe they should run for office in china , but then they wouldnt be as effective destroying America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariffs_in_United_States_history

Quote:
The GOP under Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush abandoned the protectionist ideology, and came out against quotas and in favor of the GATT/WTO policy of minimal economic barriers to global trade. Free trade with Canada came about as a result of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement of 1987, which led in 1994 to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It was based on President George H. W. Bush's plan to enlarge the scope of the market for American firms to include Canada and Mexico. US President Bill Clinton, with strong Republican support, pushed NAFTA through Congress over the vehement objection of labor unions.

Notice the republican's were not against the free trade.
I would like to find out how many Democrat's were against it.
and how many democrats were for it.

look at the economic situation in almost every nation of the world , look at the riots , the starvation , and see the results of greed.

if this free trade crap was set in place to help people less fortunate then why are there 600,000 children starving to death in africa today...

why are the chinese building huge cities that they know nobody can afford to live in?

there is one thing I know for sure, the free trade agreements are not cut into stone and even if they were a stone can be broken.

if our membership in the WTO means the slow destruction of ourselves then I say lets dont pay our dues and get kicked out for the good of mankind.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.