The quote although attributed to Einstein would need to be looked at in context. It will most likely be in german and translated.

It is listed as a dubious sourced quote .. unless you have a copy of the source commenting on it is speculation.

"The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." At least the last sentence appears to have been published in "New Statesmen" April 16, 1955 (or 1965, sources vary). New Statesmen, for those years, doesn't appear to be online yet.

Watchmen quotes it but doesn't source it.

Einstein for obvious reason has massive number of quotes attributed to him that almost certainly he did not say.

Quote:

Einstein is one of those major iconic figures to whom many statements become attributed; unsourced attributions to him should usually be treated with some skepticism, and often a great deal of it.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Albert_Einstein lists a massive number under the unsourced list.

Last edited by Orac; 08/16/11 03:38 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.