Quote:
Originally posted by swisswatchguy:
Quzote:

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking... the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."
Albert Einstein

The way I understand his feelings, I would expect that he could have wished to become a Priest, a Philosopher, able to try and convince people to change their mentality. Why a watchmaker?

This is my first post here. Usually I am contributing at the alt.horology NG.

Appreciating your answers
re: "...I would expect that he could have wished to ...try and convince people to change their mentality."

The "heart of mankind" didn't need changing until after his discovery of the "power of the atom," so he wouldn't opt for philosophy.... As a craftsman the secret might still be safe.

I often wonder what theories we might have come up with to explain the space-time distortion effects noticable in satellites if nobody had ever thought of relativity.

Einstein's comment about mankind not changing its way of thinking reminds me of Al Gore's point in "Inconvenient Truth;" where he states that old technology + old habits = predictable consequences, but new technology + old habits = "dramatically altered consequences."

I'm sure there must be some famous quote about how difficult it is to "change the heart of mankind."
Something along the lines of "old habits die hard."

Shock the frog,
~samwik

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.