For the sake of thoroughness, I would like to preface the “meat and potatoes” of this concept with other concepts.

The first is reduction or consolidation:

There is a nightmare of a formula called the Quadratic Equation. Basically this formula sets up the inter-relationship between the 3 sides and 3 angles of any triangle. When one of the angles is “known” to be 90 degrees or there is a side length that will result in a 90 degree angle, the Quadratic Equation can be reduced (or consolidated) to the Pythagorean Theorem. It’s amazing that one filled-in variable can reduce that monstrosity to a one-liner and it sure is convenient.

It behooves math, science and man to consolidate whenever possible. We reduce things down to their basic elements, rules and equations. Of course there is nothing that prohibits anyone from using the quadratic equation to solve right triangles either but it seems insane to do so.

The next concept is over-reduction:

Let’s run a quick mind experiment.

You and I just returned from a heist and being mindful of reduction I declare that my take was 1/2 of the total loot. You say; to hell with that, I got 2 out of 4 dollars!

Your (non-reduced) definition contains more information regarding the actual nature of the heist which was a complete and utter failure. My definition is justified but highly misleading. This time, consolidation of the math has gone too far and good information has been lost. Such are the dangers of over-reduction…over-simplification. Just because something is reducible doesn’t mean that it will remain intact.

Space/ Time and Relativity:

If we look at all of the Lorentz Transformation formulas for length contraction, time factor (dilation) and mass increase it is readily apparent that all of these formulas inter-relate. Specifically, at any given speed, length contraction and time factor are reciprocal values. Lets me throw out some examples:

Object is traveling at 0.0c, new length is 1.00, time factor is 1.000
Object is traveling at .25c, new length is .968, time factor is 1.032
Object is traveling at .50c, new length is .866, time factor is 1.154
Object is traveling at .75c, new length is .661, time factor is 1.512
Object is traveling at 1.0c, new length is 0.00, time factor is infinity

Another way of looking at this is that; new length and new time is exactly equal. For instance; if you are traveling at .5c, your length is 86% of what it was at rest, and time is passing 86% slower for you then when you were at rest.

If we take the dimensional (space) contraction and lump it together with time dilation; rather than do the calculation twice we can simply do it once. Likewise, we can treat space and time as the same thing…hence space/time…an underlying fabric. This is the very essence of the immutable connection between space and time…this is the justification…same formula – same thing.

I am proposing that the connection between space and time does not occur at this point in reality. There is the possibility that an over-reduction has occurred. Just because they both “enjoy” the same formula does not make them the same thing.

Ok. If the fabric of space/time is not how they are connected then where is the connection? How can we possibly retain the obvious immutable (fixed) relationship between the two of them without space/time?

Here goes:

Hollywood movies love to manipulate and exercise time dilation. There aren’t any movies set against a background of length contraction. Time dilation gets all the glory. Time travel…grandfather paradoxes are cool and interesting….flat as a pancake, well that just doesn’t make it into the script.

Time dilation gets all of the glory while length contraction does all of the work.

I propose that the characteristic of length contraction results in time dilation and that this is where the connection between time and space should be made. Why would it be surprising that they share a common formula?

Perhaps there is something about the dynamics of length contraction that brings about a corresponding “proportion” of time dynamics.

BTW, the reciprocating relationship between length contraction and time factor isn’t the only interesting aspect of LT:

Object is traveling at .500c, new length is .866
Object is traveling at .866c, new length is .500
Object is traveling at .707c, new length is .707

In the future, I would like to discuss this tidbit also.

Good atmosphere and good conversation...that's the best.